Mt. Meru which is Tanzania’s second highest mountain standing tall at 4,566m. It is located in Arusha National Park and offers some of the most spectacular scenery and wildlife diversity of any mountain in Tanzania. Mt. Meru is a challenging trek due to its steepness, but is a great way to acclimatize before attempting Mt. Kilimanjaro. Climbers are accompanied by an armed ranger due to the abundance of wildlife on the lower slopes. Mt. Meru also has some historical significance to it whereby some have suggested that it was the resting place of Noah’s Ark when it came to rest after the biblical flood receded. Mt. Meru is a great trekking option for those who want to take on a climbing challenge and get the sense of being out in the wild, but are not quite ready to tackle Mt. Kilimanjaro.
ARRIVAL AT THE AIRPORT
Representative of Sirikwa Travel will meet you at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) or Arusha Airport and escort you to tonight’s accommodations in Moshi/Arusha. As local Tanzania’s our guides know the country with unrivaled familiarity, so you’ll be in good hands from the moment you land to the moment you leave.
DAY 1: MOMELLA GATE (1500m) TO MIRIAKAMBA HUT (2500m)
Distance covered: 6km / 3.5mi
Approx. time taken: 4 – 5 hours
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Included
You will depart the hotel at 0800hrs and head to the Momella gate which is the starting point of the trek. The drive to the gate is roughly an hour and a half. After the registration you will start your trek accompanied by an armed ranger. Along the route you will catch spectacular views of Mt. Kilimanjaro and the Momella lakes. You will encounter animals such as cape buffaloes, giraffes, warthogs and bushbucks, to name a few. Your trek will end up at Miriakamba Hut where you will be spending the night.
DAY 2: MIRIAKAMBA HUT (2500m) TO SADDLE HUT (2500m)
Distance covered: 6.5km / 4mi
Approx. time taken: 3 – 4 hours
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Included
Today’s trek takes you through the steep path along the ridge of the saddle. Amazing views of the Meru crater, the ash cone and little Meru can be seen along the way. While trekking through the forest keep your eyes peeled for wildlife and the attractive wild flowers. Common animals include buffaloes and the black and white Colobus monkey. Your trek will end up at Saddle hut where you will be spending the night. After resting at the camp you will set off on an hour acclimatization trek to little Meru (3810m) then head back down to Saddle hut.
DAY 3: SADDLE HUT – SUMMIT- MIRIAKAMBA HUT TO MOMELA GATE
Approx. time taken: 13-14 hours
Distance covered: 28km
Meals: Breakfast & Lunch Included
We start early at around 1:30 a.m. to climb steeply to Rhino Point (3,800 m.) and on to Cobra Point (4350m). We reach the summit (4,566 m) on time for sunrise there is a possibility to see Kilimanjaro Peak above the clouds. The final part of the climb is along a spectacular narrow ridge line between the sheer inner cliffs and the sloping outer wall of the crater.
We take a short rest and brunch at Saddle Hut before continuing the descent to the Meriakamba Hut and lastly in Momela gate.
The returning transfer will be waiting at Momella Gate to Moshi at your accommodation.
Safari Package Includes:
- Portable toilet tent.
- 2 Night Hotel accommodations in Moshi, a day before trek and a day after trek.
- Transportation to and from your selected route.
- Transfer from Airport/Bus station in Moshi on arrival and return to airport/Bus station after climb.
- Quality, Waterproof, four-season private mountain sleeping tent.
- Quality Mess tents with table and chairs.
- Certified, experienced, English speaking mountain guides.
- All Tanzanian National Park Fees.
- Government Climbing Taxes.
- Climbing permits.
- All hot Meals prepared by our cook while on Mountain.
- Guides, Porters and Cook Salaries.
- Fair and ethical treatment of Porters.
- Enough porters to carry your luggage:
-Pulse Ox meter
- Hot drinks at every meal.
- Water provided on climb, mineral water for the first day and boiled water every day.
- Emergency rescue fees.
- Personal Summit Certificate signed by the National Park and your Guide.
Safari Package Excludes:
- Personal items and toiletries.
- Tips for guides, porters and cook (this is a guide to tipping on the mountain.
- Tipping on Kilimanjaro from the trekking group (not per climber);
- Nonalcoholic drinks and Alcoholic drinks.
- Laundry services International airfares and departure taxes.
- All items of person nature such as telephone call, fax, email etc.
- Visa and International flight tickets fees.
N/B: Our Guides, cooks and Porters are always satisfied with your thanks giving (tip) you have and not beyond your ability.